Your School and SAWP Professional Development
KEY BENEFITS OF CHOOSING SAWP PROGRAMS
- Designed at your school's or district's specific request
- Held on site
- Flexible dates and times (after school, weekends, etc.)
- Topics developed with the school's needs in mind
- Appropriate for teachers across the curriculum
Offered in conjunction with any contracted fifteen hour series of workshops. School leadership and faculty teams will collaborate with the SAWP coordinator to determine overall school needs and goals.
KEY CONSIDERATIONS FOR DESIGNING INSERVICE:
- A series should be a cohesive set of sessions, not a grab bag.
- A SAWP coordinator will be assigned to organize and prepare the program and to facilitate the sessions. The coordinator’s central role is to make the threads clear.
- A school-based contact person should be identified and will work with the SAWP coordinator to facilitate the use of school resources and space for the programs, as well as to manage communication with the participants.
- The content of the sessions should be structured to meet district or school needs, but should also be rooted in central SAWP assumptions.
- Ideal session length should be three hours.
- Group size should not exceed 30.
- Ideally, participation should be voluntary.
- Contact hour credits are available.
For more information about SAWP professional development, contact:
Southern Arizona Writing Project*
Department of English University of Arizona
P.O. Box 210067
Tucson , Arizona 85721